Although most of us experienced some cutbacks during the latest recession, luxury items were actually selling like hot cakes. That is because the rich live in a parallel universe in which, as Jay-Z would say, “money ain’t a thang.” With that said, here are the ten most expensive items relative to their respective categories or niche.
1. Amour Amour Dog CollarsWhile there are dog collars that are as cheap as dirt, there are also some that rightly deserve the title “Most Expensive Item in the World.” If you feel that your dog needs a lot of sparkle in its life, then you might want to check out and purchase the collar named Amour Amour, which is a product from I Love Dogs Diamonds.
This particular collar, which is priced at a whopping $1.8 million USD, is a 52-carat diamond dog collar that is sure to put any dog’s materialistic insecurities at ease. The collar’s centerpiece is a 7-carat diamond, while the setting is made of platinum and 18-karat white gold. Crocodile leather, one of the world’s most sought-after skins, make up the rest of the lovely collar.
2. iPhone 4S Elite GoldOn its own, an iPhone can already take up a huge chunk of your savings. But if you have a huge stash of cash laying around and are looking for something even pricier, then you’ll find that the iPhone 4S Elite Gold has no rival. At a price of $9.4 million, you better hope you don’t get any dropped calls. This phone is made by Stuart Hughes and is designed with 500 internally flawless diamonds that total over 100 carats. The Apple logo itself has over 50 diamonds. The navigation has a 7.4 carat single-cut internally flawless natural pink diamond (extremely rare). The chest is made with solid platinum with original pieces of bones from the T-Rex. Yes. The T-Rex.
3. Sultan’s Golden CakeOrdinary cakes, with their usual decors and trimmings, are divine. One’s mouth simply waters at the thought of such a decadent and rich culinary treat. However, there are those that are literally out of this world price wise!
If their outward, beautiful appearance is an indication of how yummy they will be, then golden cakes are definitely a must-try. But how much do you need to shell out for this gastronomic experience? Prices may vary, but to give you an idea, The Sultan’s Golden Cake, with its 24-carat gold leaf decor and equally lavish ingredients, from an Istanbul Hotel will cost you about $1000. However, if you really want to go all the way and pay $25,000 for dessert, then you should check out New York’s Frozen Haute Chocolate. This 23-karat gold infused dessert is composed of a number of the most exotic ingredients including the $2,600/pound La Madeline au Truffle. Not only is the dessert served in a gold goblet, but it also comes with a gold bracelet as well as a gold spoon to complete your heavenly experience.
4. Diamond MassageLuxury doesn’t only come in the form of objects, but also in the form of experiences. By getting a diamond massage, which can cost anywhere from a discounted $25,000 to the full price of more or less $100,000, you’ll be able to revel in the joys of being surrounded by diamonds and get rid of day-to-day stress at the same time.
5. Hermes Birkin HandbagExpensive handbags don’t really shock anyone. But there are some that take expensive to a whole new level. The Hermes Birkin handbag created by Ginza Tanaka is one of the most expensive handbags ever made. This tiny 2000 diamond-encrusted purse was sold at the astonishing price of $1.9 million several years ago. One can only imagine how much that bag would cost today.
6. Diamond MartiniA diamond martini is actually a drink that has a diamond engagement ring found at the bottom of a crystal glass. If you go to New York City’s Algonquin Hotel, you’ll find this drink listed in the menu of the Blue Bar at about $10,000. That’s only the estimate, though. The actual cost will depend on the type of diamond ring you choose to dazzle your future wife with.
7. Bugatti Veyron SupersportYou cant have a list of most expensive things in the world without mentioning a car. The Bugatti Veyron Supersport is one of the most expensive cars in the world, costing a hefty $2.6 million. This luxurious car goes up to 268 MPH, making it the fastest road-legal car in the world.
8. FleurBurger 5000One of the most expensive burgers in the world can be found in Fleur de Lys in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, Nevada. The $5,000 FleurBurger 5000, which comes with a side of black truffles and is served on a brioche truffle bun, contains foie gras and a truffle sauce that puts all other sauces to shame. Paired with an exquisite bottle of Chateau Petrus 1990, this burger can be rightly considered as one of the most expensive items in the world.
9. Zillion-Dollar BreakfastsBreakfast is normally a down-to-earth meal, costing only ten dollars or so. However, in a New York restaurant called Norma’s Restaurant, which is located in Le Parker Meridien Hotel, an omelette breakfast can cost as much as $1,000! The Zillion Dollar Lobster Frittata owes its steep price to the fact that it consists of much-loved lobster and a considerable amount of sevruga caviar. This type of caviar costs $65 per ounce. The Zillion Dollar Lobster Frittata reportedly has 10 ounces of sevruga caviar; and if you sum things up, then the price sounds right. Now, that’s what you call breakfast of champions!
10. Harry Winston Ruby SlippersForget about all the Manolo Blahniks, Jimmy Choos, and Chanels. The most expensive pair of shoes to this date is the Harry Winston Ruby Slippers, which is valued at approximately $3 million! With 1, 350 carats in 4,600 rubies as well as 50 carats of diamonds, you can bet your life this pair of shoes is expensive. The Ruby Slipper was created in 1989 to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, where Judy Garland wore ruby slippers that were made with sequins.