Songs come and go. They hit the top of the charts in a blink of an eye and slip to the bottom in the same amount of time. However, there are some that will always be considered as the best karaoke songs of all time. Here are 15 of the top karaoke songs and why they’re regarded as the best and the greatest:
1. Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon JoviThere’s really something about this song that inspires the audience to sing (or shout) along with the person on the karaoke stage.
Aside from the intense connection people feel to what the singer is talking about, the high notes throughout the song’s entirety challenge the vocal cords of any wannabe singing sensation.
Throw in a couple of unruly individuals who’ve had too much to drink, and what you’ve got is a rocking karaoke bar!
2. Baby One More Time by Britney SpearsAlthough a great number of people hate Britney’s guts, there are even more individuals who admire her for what she used to appear like – pure, innocent, and fresh – with a touch of naughty.
Even as Britney’s star slipped a few notches, this particular song of hers has held on to a spot on the list of the most popular karaoke songs.
No one really knows the exact reason behind this, but maybe it could be attributed to the ladies’ desire to be perceived as innocent and sensually provocative creatures at the same time.
After all, that’s how Britney appeared in the video of this song.
3. Billie Jean by Michael JacksonNo one can pass up the chance to sing an MJ song in front of appreciative spectators. He was such a big presence in the music industry, and even in the afterlife, he continues to reign as the King of Pop.
As if that’s not enough to have karaoke singers picking his songs for their performance, any diehard fan knows that to sing an MJ song is to have the perfect accompaniment to ultra-hip dance moves.
Lastly, another reason why Billie Jean is such a good karaoke song is that it speaks out to each and every guy who’s ever been falsely (?) accused of fathering someone’s child.
4. All by Myself by Celine Dion Originally sung by Eric Carmen, All by Myself was remade by Celine Dion into one of the most powerful ballads to ever hit the planet. Though the message in the song is one that most people can relate to, it is the challenge of nailing the high notes with astounding talent, much like how Celine did, that reaches out to the karaoke singer and practically dares her (or him) to pick the song. Everyone loves a great challenge, and this song is definitely one.
5. I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston Speaking of singing powerhouses, who can forget to add Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance with Somebody to this list of the top karaoke songs? Originally more like a country song, this composition was totally transformed by Walden into what it is today – a marvelous song that karaoke enthusiasts love singing and dancing to.
So grab a partner, preferably one who has an amazing voice and remarkable dancing prowess, and start wowing the crowd with your rendition of this Whitney song.
6. My Heart Will Go On by Celine DionDo you even need to know why this song’s part of the list? Well, for those who weren’t around in the 1990s, this song was the official soundtrack of the massive hit Titanic.
Who can resist singing a song that speaks so much of heartbreak and of courage to go on at the same time? Even those who aren’t fans of drama and love stories have found themselves humming this song at some point or another. Who can blame them? My Heart Will Go On will surely be around for decades to come.
7. Bohemian Rhapsody by QueenFor those who aren’t brave enough to face the critics alone, this song is a popular choice as it can be sung by a group whose members have varied singing skills. Nevertheless, the song is still a favorite among those who are confident enough to stand alone and impress the crowd with their remarkable singing talent.
8. Don’t Stop Believin’ by JourneySince it is another fantastic song to sing with a group, Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey has earned a much-deserved spot in this list of popular karaoke songs.
When it was first released, the song didn’t get much attention from the public. However, repeated use in television shows (most recently in Glee’s pilot episode) and in films (like The Wedding Singer and many more) has earned the song its current popularity. No wonder karaoke singers are stumbling over themselves to sing this song!
9. It’s My Life by Bon JoviThe message of the piece, along with its catchy tune, is responsible for the fame of this Bon Jovi song. Who can’t relate to wanting to live life as he desires and not by the dictate of others?
Who doesn’t want to live life to the fullest despite all the challenges he’s faced with? There are few songs out there that can compare to this song’s allure to karaoke singers.
10. The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston Apart from the enormous challenge presented by the required vocal range to its message is so powerful that one can’t help but be mesmerized and give this song a shot. Weird as it may seem, even a boisterous crowd can’t resist the pull of this intense and thought-provoking piece.
11. Born in the U.S.A. by Bruce Springsteen This is a piece that most guys are familiar with. Sung by the major rock music icon, Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA is part of the album that gave hope to Americans from coast to coast and encouraged them to continue their daily battle to reach the American dream. Today, the song remains well-liked and continues to hold its own against the best and greatest pieces of modern times.
12. Like a Virgin by MadonnaThis list would be far from complete if Madonna isn’t mentioned at least once. Like a Virgin is one of the songs that showed the world just how spunky, albeit a little shallow, the singer could be.
Despite critics doing all they could to sling mud at her name, Madonna, along with this song, continued her climb to the top. As to why this song is so great, maybe it’s as simple as being sung by one of the greats.
13. Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi LauperThe title of the song is all the explanation you’ll ever need to understand why it’s a favorite among ladies and women who are celebrating their friend’s last night as a bachelorette. Guys, you may want to stay away from this one. You don’t want your sexuality questioned in any way.
14. Wannabe by Spice GirlsIf you actually read the lyrics at the same time you’re singing them, you’ll know why this song attracts a lot of empowered women to sing it as well as shake their booties to it.
There’s truly nothing that says girl power better than a Spice Girls song! Chauvinistic karaoke singers, beware!
15. I Will Survive by Gloria GaynorOn the subject of female strength and power, another one of the top karaoke songs is Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive.
Released in the year 1978, this song’s popularity rose to great heights until it became known as one of the biggest hits and most famous disco songs to ever be released. So will you survive singing this song? There’s only one way to find out for sure.
There you have the 15 best karaoke songs of all time. They may not all be the easiest songs to sing, but they’re certainly the most popular with the crowd. Be sure to practice before you decide to take the microphone. Good luck!