There are films that you won’t watch on a normal day. They’re just too sad, too gory, too stupid, or too whatever. But have you ever considered watching those movies while you’re stoned? It could be a pretty interesting experience. You’ll find yourself enjoying movies that you would otherwise hate. With that said, here are the 15 best movies to watch high:
1. Saw IISaw II, or any Saw movie for that matter, is best enjoyed while you’re high up on the clouds. Except for the sadists and gore lovers, this movie is just too much for the eyes and for the stomach. The extremity of the scenes is heart-stopping, while the sight of all that blood and guts would be enough to make a surgeon squeamish. However, all the twists and visual effects in the movie should make a lovely accompaniment to the elated mood that comes with being under the influence. After all, there’s no better time to take pleasure in thinking about the many ways to kill a person than when you’re stoned.
2. Pineapple ExpressIf you haven’t seen this one, then you probably haven’t ever reached the ultimate high. The plot consists of a group of stoners who get themselves involved in a sticky conspiracy. There are truly no words to describe the hilarity of this “action” movie.
3. Charlie and the Chocolate FactoryOops. How did a movie more apt for children find its way into this list of the best movies to watch stoned? Well, if you’ve had even just a glimpse of the scenes in this particular film, you’ll understand. Any self-respecting pot smoker would know that there’s more to getting high than just an attack of the giggles and an increased craving for food. Yet, if those aftereffects can be had by watching the psychedelic and mouthwatering images of this movie while getting your fix, then go for it! Life is too serious sometimes. You need all the help you can get to lighten up, and that’s what Charlie and pot are for.
4. Grandma’s BoySince the movie follows the hassle-free and happy life of a guy who does nothing but play insane video games and smoke weed, it’s no surprise that this is a favorite movie among those who would like to live like the main character.
5. Fear and Loathing in Las VegasIt’s as if Terry Gilliam adapted Hunter Thompson’s novel just to beckon to stoners and recreational drug users to come watch the film. Plot-wise, the story’s quite straightforward. Two guys, bringing with them a load of drugs in a briefcase, decide to set foot in Vegas. What’s the reason it’s the perfect movie to watch while you’re high?
You simply can’t top the stupidity that the characters exhibit, no matter how embarrassing or ridiculous you act when you’re spaced-out. That has got to be comforting. Don’t be perverse enough to try to keep pace with the protagonists, though. You’re still in the real world!
6. Speed RacerThis is definitely one of the best movies to watch high. It has all the makings of a downright stoner movie: streaky blurs, ultra-bright lights, karate-doing cars, tons of color, and lots more. Though the movie itself didn’t break any box-office record, probably because marketing wasn’t directed at stoners, Speed Racer will surely propel you to an even greater high. So what are you waiting for? Take out your stash, and begin the mood-catapulting movie experience.
7. Half BakedThe title of the movie alone should give you a good idea of why this film is ideal to watch when you’re stoned. It is probably safe to say that if you’ve already watched it, while not under the influence, you’ll want to watch it again, only this time, stoned. The plot consists of a group of friends who attempt to sell weed as a way to raise funds to get their pal out of jail. Get this: their pal was placed in prison for accidentally taking the life of a diabetic horse! If that isn’t enough to give you a serious case of giggles while you’re high, then the IQ-lowering plot and ridiculous antics in the movie should do the job.
8. EurotripThis one’s fairly popular among the stoned and the sober alike. There’s something absolutely electrifying about the adventures (and the sticky situations) of the characters in this movie. Their experience in Amsterdam, where one of the guys ventured into a radical sex club (complete with whips, bondage, and safe words), is just classic. Who can also forget the scene where the twins unknowingly made out with each other? Talk about awkward!
If those aren’t high-inducing enough, then you should also know that Eurotrip has a nude beach scene where a bunch of guys, along with their exposed genitals, chase after the only girl in sight. A hashish brownie, absinthe, and talking green fairies also make this film one of the best movies to watch stoned.
9. Blades of GloryTwo men in skimpy skating outfits joining hands (and lifting each other by their crotches) to win the competition – it can’t get any better than that! Once you’ve had your fill of this movie, you might also want to try watching Brokeback Mountain. That’s a less hilarious, but equally great, movie to watch while you’re soaring.
10. The Exorcism of Emily RoseAs far as movies go, this one isn’t really famous for being a stoner film. Nevertheless, you should seriously give this movie a shot. It comes with awful scenes that either make you question your faith or merely hide under the covers. It’s best to watch this with a room full of other stoners as well. You can increase your enjoyment by bullying those who’re too scared to watch the entire show.
Of course, if all of you are as high as kites, it’s possible that none of you will care how the protagonist is possessed to fly off her bed or curse at the priest before her. Either way, this movie should make for a totally new “getting stoned” experience.
11. Alice in WonderlandAnother children’s movie that will surely appeal to stoners all over the world, Alice in Wonderland is just chock full of weird characters, crazy colors, unusual story twists, and whatnot. Imagine getting high while you’re imitating the Mad Hatter. See in your mind’s eye going down that rabbit hole yourself. Such a twisted, and high-inducing, movie this is.
12. The Twilight SagaIf you happen to have a girlfriend who practically salivates over the sight of Edward Cullen or Jacob Black, then you deserve all the sympathy you can get. You can be sure that you’ll get dragged to at least one Twilight saga movie, and the best way to deal with it is to keep mum, accompany your sweetheart, and watch the movie high. If you value your life, and your girl, there’s no other way to approach this dilemma. Just watch it high!
13. The Wizard of Oz (1939)You can’t include Willy Wonka in this list without considering The Wizard of Oz as well. Aside from the subtle references to drugs, the movie is portrayed in a wide spectrum of amazing colors and has music that will delight any stoner. Perhaps the most important characteristic that makes this a great movie to watch while you’re high is that it creates an entirely new and ideal world that every stoner would jump at the chance of visiting. Tell me you don’t want to get your butt to that magical place.
14. How HighC’mon, the title says it all. This movie stars Method Man and Redman, two of the biggest potheads in the hip hop industry.
15. Up in SmokeWhen you’re in an inebriated state, the last thing you want to hear is how drugs will ruin your life and all that sh*t. This is a movie that’s in your best interests. It will show (fool?) you into thinking that success is still within reach for those like yourself. Escaping the cops using a vehicle composed entirely of weed? That has got to be the perfect recipe for reaching your goals.
No matter what type of drug you’re into, you’ll definitely get a greater high by smoking, inhaling, or ingesting it with the TV playing the best movies to watch stoned. Remember, it’s puff puff pass!